miércoles, 24 de junio de 2015

IMPERIOS

IMPERIO AQUEMÉNIDA :

Achaemenid Royal Inscriptions


One of Cyrus' inscriptions in Pasargadae. Photo Marco Prins.
One of Cyrus' inscriptions
in Pasargadae
In ca.521, the Persian king Darius I the Great ordered that a new alphabet, which he called  the Aryan script, was to be developed. It was used for a small corpus of inscriptions, known as the AchaemenidRoyal Inscriptions. This page offers links to transcriptions, translations and pictures.
  • The general system to refer to these texts consists of three letters. The first one indicates the king (e.g, X = Xerxes); the second the site (e.g., S = Susa); the third letter is added to distinguish the inscriptions of the same ruler on the same site.
  • On this page,  = Photo;  = Drawing;  = original text (usually Persian);  = English translation.
  • I am creating these pages because these important sources are not available online, and not every library in the world owns the relevant iranological books.
  • The drawings were scanned from R.N. Sharp, The Inscriptions in Old Persian Cuneiform of the Ach�menian Emperors (s.l., s.d.). They will be replaced by something better as soon as I have mastered Unicode.
  • If you see a mistake, or have a better picture, contact me.
Ariaramnes
Darius I
Darius II
Arsames
Xerxes
Artaxerxes II
Cyrus
Artaxerxes I
Artaxerxes III
Ancient-Warfare.com, the online home of Ancient Warfare magazine

Ariaramnes, Hamadan
  • AmH: gold tablet, possibly a fake (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)



Arsames, Hamadan
  • AsH: gold tablet, possibly a fake (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)


Cyrus' cylinder. British museum, London (Britain). Photo Marco Prins.
Cyrus' cylinder (British Museum)
Cyrus the Great (559-530), Babylon
  • CB ("Cyrus Cilinder"), in Babylonian (Photo available, , English translation available)
Cyrus the Great (559-530), Pasargadae / Murghab

Statue of Darius, once erected in Egypt, but later brought to Susa. Archaeological Museum of Tehran (Iran). Photo Marco Prins.
Statue of Darius, once erected in Egypt, but later brought to Susa. (Archeological Museum of Tehran)
Darius I the Great (522-486), Behistun Darius I the Great (522-486), Gandj Nameh / Elvend
  • DE, on a rock near a waterfall (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
Darius I the Great (522-486), Gherla
  • DG, fragment from a clay tablet from Rumania (English translation available)
Darius I the Great (522-486),  Hamadan
  • DH, gold and silver tablet (text identical to DPh) (Persian text available, English translation available)
Darius I the Great (522-486), Naqš-i Rustam
  • DNa, upper register of Darius' tomb (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DNb, lower register of Darius' tomb (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available) (later copied as XPl)
  • DNc, brief honorific text for Gobryas (Photo available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DNd, brief honorific text for Aspathines (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DNe, names of peoples (Persian text available, English translation available)
Darius I the Great (522-486), Persepolis Darius I the Great (522-486), Susa
  • DSa, two tiles (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSb, two tiles (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSc, column base (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSd, column base (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSe, empire list (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSf, foundation inscription (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSg, column base (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSi, column base (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSj, column base (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSk, brick (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSl, brick (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSm, incomplete inscription on glazed bricks (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSn, statue (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSo, slab of marble (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSp, incomplete slab of marble (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSq, slab of marble (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSs, slab of marble (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSt, slab of marble (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSu, Elamite inscription on a slab of marble (English translation available)
  • DSv, damaged Babylonian list on a slab of marble (English translation available)
  • DSw, Babylonian inscription on a slab of marble (English translation available)
  • DSy, column base (Photo available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DSz, adaptation of DSf (English translation available)
  • DSaa, abridged Babylonian version of DSf (English translation available)
  • DSab, a statue, in Egyptian (Photo available, English translation available)

Seal of king Darius the Great. British Museum, London (Britain).
Seal of Darius the Great (British Museum; �!!!)
Darius I the Great (522-486), Suez
  • Three texts on one stela:
    • a cartouche (DZa; Persian text available, English translation available)
    • a brief "signature" (DZb; Persian text available, English translation available)
    • a description of the Red Sea canal (DZc; (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
Darius I the Great (522-486), Others
  • DWa, weight (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DWb, weight (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DWc, weight (Photo available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • DWd, weight (Photo available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • Seal (Photo available, , , )
  • Vase (Photo available, English translation available) (possibly of Darius II Nothus)


Inscription XV, south of the citadel of Van. Photo Marco Prins.
Inscription XV
Xerxes I (486-465), Gandj Nameh / Elvend
  • XE, on a rock near a waterfall (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
Xerxes I (486-465), Hamadan
  • XH, fragment of a silver pitcher (Persian text available, English translation available)
Xerxes I (486-465), Persepolis Xerxes I (486-465), Susa
  • XSa, column bases (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • XSb, Babylonian inscription on column bases (English translation available)
  • XSc, inscription on a slab of marble (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • XSd, column bases (, English translation available)
  • XSe, Babylonian inscription on a slab of marble (English translation available)
Xerxes I (486-465), Tušpa
  • XV, rock inscription (, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
Xerxes I (486-465)


Artaxerxes I Makrocheir (465-424), Persepolis Artaxerxes I Makrocheir (465-424)
  • Vases: A1Va (Persian text available, English translation available), A1Vb (Persian text available, English translation available), A1Vc = A1Vd (Persian text available, English translation available)



Darius II Nothus (424-404), Hamadan
  • D2Ha, gold tablet (English translation available)
Darius II Nothus (424-404), Susa
  • D2Sa, column base (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • D2Sb, column bases (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
Darius II Nothus (424-404), Others
  • Vase (, English translation available) (possibly of Darius II the Great)


The copy of A2Sb in the National Archaeological Museum of Tehran (Iran). Photo Marco Prins.
A2Sb (National Archaeological Museum, Tehran)
Artaxerxes II Mnemon (404-358), Hamadan
  • A2Ha, column base (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • A2Hb, column bases (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • A2Hc, gold tablet (Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)
Artaxerxes II Mnemon (404-358), Persepolis Artaxerxes II Mnemon (404-358), Susa
  • A2Sa, column bases (Photo available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • A2Sb, column bases (Photo available, Persian text available, English translation available)
  • A2Sc, stone tablet (Persian text available, English translation available)
  • A2Sd, column bases (Photo available, Drawing of the text available, Persian text available, English translation available)


Inscription of Artaxerxes III Ochus from the Palace of Darius at Persepolis. Photo Marco Prins.
A3Pa in the Palace of
Darius at Persepolis
Artaxerxes III Ochus (358-338), Persepolis Artaxerxes III Ochus (358-338)

Related texts

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario